Thursday, June 15, 2006

ZzzzZZzzzZZzZZZzzzzzz's


I really hate falling asleep right in the middle of the day. I'm not a napper by nature and so when I do actually doze off, I tend to feel ridiculously disoriented when I awake. I'll get up, stumble around, and wonder if I had been asleep for an hour, a day, or a week. Did I just miss work for the last seven days? Am I fired? Have I eaten? Did someone update my blog? No? AHHHHHHH.

I bet Rip Van Winkle felt like a fool when he woke up. His girlfriend had long since left him and shacked up with the local horse shoe maker, his parents were dead, the mountain goats had ritually peed on him, and to top it all off, he had a beard that no medieval razor rock could hack away at. Boo hoo, now I know how he feels. Minus the goat pee.

Yesterdays and tomorrows become pretty difficult. Was it yesterday that the waitress asked me if I had been "beveraged", creatively turning a noun into a verb? Did I play frisbee beside the graveyard today, or was that tomorrow? Can I remember things that happened tomorrow? Did Michael J. Fox just ride by on a flying skateboard? Oooh ok, I get it. IT'S BACK TO THE FUTURE!

When I was little, I hated anything to do with sleeping, bed times, or lying still and not talking. But ofcourse sleep is one of those "don't know what you've got til it's gone" things, so I'll be sure to go back in time with Mikey J. and tell myself that. I always found it a little alarming that my mom loooved sleep so much, but I accepted that we all had different hobbies. When it came time to make our mother's day gifts in grade one we were asked to draw our moms doing their favourite things. Some kids drew their mom gardening, or maybe playing with them, and I was all I KNOW WHAT I'LL DO/ EUREKA MOMENT, and I drew my mom in a nice big bed. When I brought it home she was a little mortified. But why are you worried about child services mommy? I drawed it so good...

So this is the part of my post where I sum up my meandering point. I give it a direction, maybe just a general one, but a god damn theme none the less. It makes you, the reader, think ahh, yes I remember why I decided to read this post. Then your life suddenly makes sense and you pick up that old rubik's cube from your childhood and rock it outta the park.

I like to be profound like that.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha!

Maybe the waittress was asking you if you'd been TURNED INTO a beverage! Like the place was just a front for some scary science lab!

7:00 PM  
Blogger PatZ said...

lol that sounds like me in the morning at work...
'....im on a machine...?...im supposed to do...um...let's push a button and see what happens....zzzzzz.....'

10:22 PM  
Blogger Krista... said...

i often describe waking up from a siesta as wearing a film for the rest of the day that is impossible to peel off.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess for some it takes some getting used to.. kinda like how its hard to get into smoking or something.

in any case.. take a nap time to time; a solid escape from the b.s that never sleeps

12:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm antinapper. They give me headaches. I like to save my tiredness until the night, then everything feels better. It's like saving all the food stuff for the end when you go to the toilet and take the mother of all dumps. It feels awesome.....sorry that was gross

3:40 PM  
Blogger Smelly Danielly said...

back to the future is a killer movie...hearts to micheal j fox

12:13 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

screetus - I'm sensing she had ill intentions...

patz - zzz's can be so dangerous. DO NOT OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY WHILE SLEEPY.

krista - I think you couldn't be more accurate.

abdu - You've never seemed like a nap challenged person to me...

ridley - Don't worry, I thought it was pretty hilarious.

smelly - that WAS a killer movie. Sigh, they just don't make em like the used to.

7:18 AM  
Blogger bythedrift said...

yeah,- Totaly..!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry, I just woke up, what did I miss?

2:53 PM  
Blogger PatZ said...

dont worry, it's not heavy. i mean, it is, but it's not like super heavy. i dont think a golf cart would be that hard to tip back over...

9:28 PM  
Blogger foXXy said...

ok i have nothing to say, really, that wont sound nerdy and has nothing to do with this post, but i really love your blog and the way you write. :) that's all.

12:21 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

oh god foxxy, that's so kind. Thank you

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home