Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Gender Bender

At work I see a lot of people pass through in a day, and some of them really stay with me. Generally they're memorable for their blatant rudeness, MC Hammer pants, or collagen lips, but occasionally it's because I really liked them.

The other day I was serving a particularly frazzled looking mother and I saw that her kid was driving her insane. She kept on telling him to "quiet down because she had to talk to this nice lady," but I think what she really wanted to say was "Sit the fuck down sweety." I thought I'd entertain the kid so that the mother had a chance of finishing her shopping, so I came around the counter to talk to him. Now, after semesters of sociology classes, I'd like to think that I don't try to put people into a "gender role" but this little boy had a barbie. At first I was a little surprised, but then I was like wait, this is awesome, all moms should do this.

"That's a pretty awesome Barbie you've got there," I said.

"YEAH! It's a groovy girl (or something like that I don't quite remember, you know, one of those modern sluttier barbies). Her name is SASHA," he emphasized, letting the last syllable of Sasha linger.

"Cool Sasha sounds like an awesome name."

"Yep yep, it is. MOM MOM MOOOOOOM SHOW HER SASHA'S CLOTHES. Guess what, she came with more clothes!" he said to me.

The little boy's mom held up Sasha's package and showed me all the "hip stuff" she came with.

"Wow, Sasha has her own cell phone it looks like. And it's metallic red, that's way nicer than mine."

The boy stared up at me with a certain bewilderment as if to say, I NOTICED THAT EXACT SAME THING AS WELL! I think he was so ecstatic to finally be getting some attention, and I was pretty happy to have a break, so we complimented each other quite well.

"MOOOOM, Sasha's getting a phone call right now. I can hear it, ahhhhh we have to answer it!!!"

I looked at the little boy, the exhaustion in his mother's face, and then Sasha in all her urban hipster glory.

"Don't worry about Sasha's phone," I told the little boy, "She has call waiting. Sasha's so modern like that."

"Oh god yes, yes she does," said the boy's mom.

"Mom, what's call waiting?" he asked.

"It's something you get on your phone so that people can leave messages when you're gone. And then you can finish grocery shopping."

The boy looked at me and scanned my eyes to see if I was telling the truth. I gave a confirming nod and he smiled.

"Ok fine, bye bye girl."

"Bye bye."

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I give this the award for funniest thing I have read all day.

So how nice was Sasha's cell phone, cause I have the lg vx 9800 and I can't be out done by a doll.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Krista... said...

hehe, that kid sounds so sweet. I think the world would probably be a better place if more boys played with barbies....

8:41 PM  
Blogger foXXy said...

"modern sluttier barbies"


hahaha, eXactly!!!

10:14 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

real - Sasha's cell phone was pretty awesome, but I think it was permanently open, a certain con.

krista - I completley agree.

foxxy - And I'm not even making it up.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home