Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Day I Became A Murderer

I was at the doctors today, an event that has become quite regular in my life, because I am crazy in a strictly non-trendy way. So what's wrong with me today? "Nothing" as per usual, which means I'll have to waste four years in med school, and figure it out on my own. Either the doctors are stupid, lazy, or dishonest, because they keep on telling me I'm fine, and I know much better than they do. I generally tell them my worries, or atleast a list of 87 of them, and they nod, pretend to listen, and then fiddle around with blood pressure, heart beats, or something else equally useless. Most people call the doctors themselves and set up appointments ,whereas, when you're a hypochondriac they basically just call you.

"Hello Carmen, this is the doctors office, we have an opening at 2:45, are you having any problems?"

I let a little chuckle escape as I check myself over. Any problems? Bitch please, cancel the rest of your appointments for the week. Then I hobble on my crutches, pick up the ziploc bag full of ice and my left ring finger, and stuff the picture I drew entitled "My Paranoia Release" into my purse. As I start the ignition in my car I worry that the air freshener may be emitting toxic and carcinogenic fumes. Around that time I try to breathe.

I always remember the part of that weird song "Class of '99", you know the song that's soley made up of a guy giving advice, where he says something like "Don't worry, or worry but know that worrying is as useful as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real problems in life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindsight you at 4pm on an idle Tuesday." That made me feel both better and worse at the same time. Better because the things I worry about are just about the most horrible things I can fathom, and if none of those happen to me, I'll somehow be saved. Worse because if I haven't thought of it, dear lord, it must be unfathomably BAD.

But so it happens that each day I generally get to sleep, and each morning I'm still here.

Today as a new doctor was checking me out I said "Well you know, I'm a major hypochondriac. I generally think I'm dying of one thing or another." To which he laughed, "Oh no, don't do that."

I looked at him for a split second with utter horror in my eyes before jumping across the room and beating him with all the rage I had in my being.

"Don't do that?! ARE YOU SHITTING ME?"

But he didn't hear me because my hands around his neck had already cut of the blood circulation to his brain.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Scary dudette. No worries though, all will be well. Repeat this to yourself.

If that doesn't help, listen to Air's first album "Moon Safari" that usually chills me out.

What does a hypochondriac mean?

12:57 AM  
Blogger bythedrift said...

Its when some one has uncontrollable urges to spit in others faces.

Its very debilitating.

1:29 AM  
Blogger foXXy said...

omg im a hypocondriac as well!! well..not really cuz there is always something wrong with me but once my cousin called me that and i thought BITCH THERE WAS SHIT WRONG WITH ME THEN!!! like legitimately WRONG.

but yeah...im always thinking bad morbid thoughts, even when it comes to decisions while driving "do i go this way...or this...if i go this way and something happens ill know i should have gone that way and omg im going to cause an accident if i dont decide FUCKING DECIDE"

1:53 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

hehe, a hypochondriac is someone who thinks there is always something medically wrong with them. For example, a gift from friend coming home from africa = malaria.

2:07 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

I love that you don't even know what it means, hehe.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmie i love that you are a hypochondriac!

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor doctor...

9:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well I am glad you were able to escape before the police got there to arrest you. Do you know if they know it was you yet, or if they consider you a suspect at this point. I imagine it would be quite hard to keep up the blog if you were on the lamb.

10:46 AM  
Blogger dbuc said...

i wish i lived there so i could meet y ou..you effin rule. big time, sister. big time

2:44 AM  
Blogger Ranting said...

Wow...I think the same thing happened to me about a month ago. Good luck with the get-away palns!

9:28 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

alanna - Yeah, it's quite alluring. I get that a lot.

abdu - Poor yes, for being so dense.

real - I'm a gingerbread (wo)man, so it's ok.

dan - You'll have to come down sometime!

ranting - I'll keep you updated.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home