Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Oooooh Highschool


This past weekend was the grad weekend for most people making it to the other side of highschool. Luckily for me, highschool fits into that category of "Things In My Past That I Now View In A Veil Of Nostalgia", and therefore is remembered with an air of sentimentality. Somehow, I'm able to remember the majority of good things, and forget the copious amount of bad, bad, very embarrassing moments; and for this I'm grateful. My sister is still in the dog house though, and sometimes the stories she tells makes me so glad that I'm not there anymore.

There are some crazy craaaazy bitches who tell you to "Take off your fucking sweatshirt, yeah, cause I'm wearing the same one and I had it first. You stupid bitch."

Or annoying emo girls that like to claim "emo styles" as their own; as if stripes have never been worn by anyone else through out the history of time. THEY'RE CALLED PIRATES YOU DUMB BITCHES. Some stupid girl asked my sister if she "Was wearing those pants because they're seen?" My sister was a little confused, "Seen?" she asked. "Yeah," the girl said, "You know, like you "seen" 'em on somebody else so you wanna wear them too." That's another thing about highschool bitches, they love to make up exclusive slang in efforts to further extradite their peers.

As I drove my sister to school today and listened to her having a hernia over final exams, I thought about highschool as a juggling act. You're supposed to balance homework and exams, you know, "the determination of your future" with relationships, emo bitches, and impossible expectations. I looked at my sister, with her cute moccasin boots, bangs perfectly in place, and anxiety ridden brown eyes, and thought "My god, this girl does it all and she manages to wear make-up, look hot, choose cute outfits, and act pleasant EVERY SINGLE DAY. I looked back at myself in my rear-view mirror, at my unkempt hair, my pajama pants, and thought, take a shower you hobo. AND THIS IS MY DAY OFF! Granted, some people are better at this juggling act than others.

I try to tell her not to worry and stress so much, that no matter how horrible things seem, they WILL BE OK. The thing is, when you're in the moment, searching for a little sympathy, having trouble visualizing the other side, and drowning in the here and now, it's way too hard to get perspective on things. I can remember when the crush of my elementary life found out that I liked him, and I felt like I'd rather be home schooled for the rest of my life rather than show my face at school again. Or maybe the time that I had a gym test in grade four and cried the night before because I was so afraid of not winning, subsequently flunking elementary, and eventually spending the duration of my life as a panhandling hobo knocking on your window as you sat at a red light on the corner of Seymour and Hastings. If someone had told me then that life would not turn into a downward spiral simply due to gym class, I probably would have kicked them in the shins because they couldn't possibly have said that if they just understood my situation. RELAY TAG ISN'T A PIECE OF CAKE YOU KNOW?! Can you see that my craziness started young?

Maybe, when you find yourself in the midst of a badish situation, you need to tell yourself that your five-years-from-now-self would tell your now-self that everything isn't as bad as it seems; as ridiculously impossible as that is. Sometimes you still have time to destress, take a step back, and log onto your sisters account and leave a picture of your ass as their desktop picture.

Thanks Megan, your bum staring at me in the face was a sign from the highschool god that you are, in fact, going to be just fine.

7 Comments:

Blogger PatZ said...

and to think that right after high school pajama pants and unkept hair become the expected fashions. what? post secondary students who actually dress up to go to class? where???

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to print this out and put it up on my wall when I move back to Ottawa........it will be my "Look at me when you're crying at your desk at 2am" decor :)

Doing the "big scheme of things" rationale always helps me de-stress. It's a great way of looking at things rationally - except, of course, if you use it for every possible life situation, which results in your thinking nothing you do really matters......

Wow, can I ever just not analyze something? LOL

7:50 PM  
Blogger Krista... said...

fabulous.

highschool, despite all it's stressed and 'emo' bitches, is something that i look back on happily, and at times, miss.

great post.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this whole juggling thing you speak of.. i think i used to be capable of this at one point or another (and then i came to university and it alll went to shit).... remember that convo we had a million years ago about seeing the pussycat dolls on tv and then feeling the need to exercise? i had to watch them AT the gym today - oh spitefilled world! {yes i realize the randomness of the comment}

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God damn those pussycat dolls.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got suspended in high school for putting out an underground newspaper. It was the start of my writing career.

4:54 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

krista - I'm glad that my experiences there weren't really that bad.

ridley - I'll tell my sister to try that.

alanna - You're really good at juggling pop cans. Just like our special friend ;)

nat - just tell yourself that they're ROBOTS, ROOOBOOOTS.

screetus - how very hard core!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home