Monday, June 26, 2006

Forgetful Franny


Something that I've recently had to come to terms with is that I'm embarrassingly forgetful. It's not a very admirable character trait, it tends to cause me overwhelming guilt, and at times it really makes me cringe. I used to pride myself on my ability to photographically remember anything for a test; I'd only study 30 seconds before go time and always manage to do really well. I guess that I haven't entirely lost that capability, it's moreso that people don't make arrangements with me on a piece of loose leaf. God damn spoken instructions! I'd love to turn this problem around, but chances are I'll just forget all together.

Yesterday I got on the skytrain to go home after work, and like many days, I called for someone to pick me up from my stop. I couldn't seem to get through to anyone though so I called Al. He doesn't live that close to the station I get off at, but he's a nice guy like that so he said it would be no problem. I told him to shoot for arriving in about half an hour.

"Half an hour? I could just leave now if you want."

"No no Al, it's fine, wait a bit and then come."

So I sat and rode on through all the stops, knitting like I usually do (because I'm a dork), and encountered the usual strange stares. A woman sat down beside me, she asked what I was making. She told me about her son, how she likes to cook, etc. and I told her about my knitting when she asked. Then I listened, well the whole skytrain listened, to two young guys on their cell phones.

"I dunno man, fuck dude. (Pause) Well I'm going home to fuck my bitch and he is too."

I appreciated the free entertainment they were providing, and strained to listen to everything they were saying. I picked up my phone and called to see if Al had arrived. I walked towards his truck.

"Hey baby, what's going on?" some guy shouted at me as I walked past.

"Not too much," I laughed.

"What are you up to tonight?" he asked. I was almost at Al's truck by that point.

"Tonight? I'm going home with my boyfriend," I said as I opened the truck door. I heard him say "nevermind" as I shut it.

I was so happy to see Al, but I had forgotten one very important thing; I had driven myself to the skytrain station that morning, so my car was there aswell. Allan was a little less than pleased, I felt like an idiot. He drove me over to my car and then we traveled back home one behind the other. Periodically I would look in my rear view and see him rubbing his forehead, the way he does when he's really stressed.

I waved to let a car in infront of me and the guy gave a nod of thanks. The light was red so I waited and watched Al. I could see him looking back at me so I made a little heart sign with both my hands, and then I saw him give a little laugh. I laughed too until I saw the guy I let in looking in his rear view.

It turns out I don't need to forget anything to be embarrassing.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That pickup line always sounds creepy to me. "Whatcha doing tonight sweetie?" ewwwwwwww

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have a thing for random people talking to you about random things eh?

7:23 AM  
Blogger Smelly Danielly said...

aww haha i cant believe that you forgot that you parked at the skytrain station!!

11:07 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

ridley - yeah, I never found it too appealing.

kevbo - ooh god yes. Mainly hobos and perverts.

smelly - yeah, ridiculous hey?

nat - I'm sensing some pent up anger in you. STOP READING MAXIM.

5:03 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

18 hour bus ride! I've never known such joy!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try a 30 hours train ride, stuck beside someone thats talking to you the entire time in french, and you dont know french, and its obvious you dont know french, but the guy can get a freakin clue about it

3:51 AM  
Blogger foXXy said...

ew, yeah, and in the states :|

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Carm. I have a problem. I started reading men's magazines and frequenting askmen.com as a way of seeing how men think, and I think I'm learning that's it's far scarier and depressing than I thought. I should stop. Too bad askmen.com is next on my 'sites to visit today' list, right after you........

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home