Friday, November 24, 2006

Nice Try

A part of university I've come to understand as unavoidable is the token "ultra-passionate" students. By choosing the faculty of arts you're not only accepting a futile career path, but the inevitability that some students will be reduced to uncontrollable fits of orgasmic pleasure as they read the poetry of T. S. Eliot. Not the poetry of T. S. Eliot with elicit street drugs, just plain old T. S. Eliot. I do appreciate good literature, but somehow I don't see the point of trying to let everyone else know just how AMAZING I feel, how DEEPLY I connect with the words, and the ways in which it adds invaluable PROFUNDITY to my life. I would, however, have no problem letting those people know just how much I'd like to SHOOT them, perhaps with a RIFLE, possibly in the LIBRARY.

Today in my 19th century British Literature class things were a little "switched up" you could say. Instead of a student being overcome by deep emotion, it was the prof who was moved to tears. Reading the last paragraph of "The Dead" by James Joyce, he actually broke down and started to cry. I didn't know what to do, so I did the only thing I could think of, pretended the man at the front of the room conducting the lecture wasn't standing there blubbering.

"I'm sorry," he said, "this has never happened before."

Sure buddy, that's what they all say.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha.. oh man thats just frekn sad. a grown man brought to tears. i wouldnt know whether to laugh or just throw something at the guy, or maybe join in on the crying so he doesnt feel so isolated. leaning towards the former.

haha.. i wonder if this guy cries himself to sleep after a night-time read.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand that reaction for a particularly good Battlestar Galactica episode, but not English Lit.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he was going through a rough time with his wife or something. I feel the same way about Eliot's poetry, except I'd never actually talk about it in public.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home