Thursday, September 07, 2006

Life and Christmas souvenirs

This past summer has aged me in ways that I could have never predicted. I've really had my ability to cope tested, and I'm hoping that all the pop quizzes are done. I tried to explain to some of my friends, in a moment of weakness, just what I was feeling.

"Alright, so pretend that you took everything in your life, carefully put it in a snow globe so as not to disturb anything, and then TURNED IT UPSIDE DOWN AND SHOOK IT! And then picture throwing that agitated snow globe at a brick wall and watching it break into a million little pieces that you know would be too hard to pick up and put together. Does that suffice?"

Everyone kind of sat there for a second, waited for the exasperated girl to finish, and the reactions varied accordingly. My favourite was from my friend Ben who, upon exhaling a large puff of smoke, said: "Whoa. Seriously, I dig that shit. That was an awesome story. A snowglobe? Who woulda thought!?"

A couple of days ago I was driving another friend of mine home, and I started to get a bit of road rage. I muttered some words of "encouragement" to another driver and she mistook my grumblings as desperation, or pain.

"Is it that snow globe shit?"

Today I went to the dollar store with my sister and hit the lowest of lows. In the middle of a row that had mars bars displayed alongside pads of paper adorned with happy faces, a Nick Lachey song started playing in the background. I looked up at my sister, saw the sheer anguish I felt mirrored exactly in her face, and closed my eyes.

"Let's get out of here. I will NOT break down in the dollar store."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

werd

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I will NOT break down in the dollar store" could be the next big country hit.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home